PhotoShelter for Brands allows you to automatically add a visible watermark to your images for theft prevention and identifying information. The watermark does not affect your original images, nor the images that you allow your customers to download. The watermark is not displayed on the Admin side of the Library; it's only displayed in the Portal.
Setting up a watermark
PhotoShelter has a built-in watermarking feature, which provides two types of watermarks:
- Text-only, using the IPTC Copyright info
- Graphic overlay, using a PNG file
To set up a watermark:
- From the Admin menu, select Portal Settings.
- Click Image Security.
- Scroll down to Image Watermarking and click Yes to enable watermarking.
You can choose between a text or graphical watermark. The graphical watermark requires you to upload a 24-bit PNG file and gives you the ability to include a logo.
Preparing a graphical watermark
You will need to create a 24-bit PNG file in Photoshop, InDesign or other graphics program to upload to PhotoShelter for Brands.
- Open a new document in Photoshop. The size of your watermark shouldn't exceed the size of your screen resolution image. We suggest a file no larger than 500px wide/high.
- Set a transparent background color.
- Use the Type tool or import your logo into the file. We recommend listing the URL of your website.
- Adjust the Opacity of the text/image in the Layers Palette. We suggest 30% opacity.
- From the File menu, select Save for Web & Devices.
- Select PNG-24.
- Once your file is saved, you can upload it to your PhotoShelter for Brands Library.
Turning watermarks off for specific Galleries
If you enable watermarks for your images, you may choose to turn them off for specific Galleries, either in batch or one Gallery at a time.
To disable watermarks for specific galleries in batch:
- From the Media menu, select Library.
- Select one or more Galleries from the center pane, then activate the Actions dropdown and select Enable/disable watermark.
- If you have watermarks turned on globally and would like to turn them off for the selected Galleries, choose the Hide watermarks option from the dialog box. (If you’d already hidden watermarks for these Galleries and would like to turn them back on, choose Display watermarks.)
License Alerts watermarks
If you are using the License Alerts workflow, image expiration watermarks will display in addition to any text or graphic watermarks that you’ve set up in your Image Security Settings above.
Changing the general Portal watermarks via Image Security Settings has no effect on expiration watermarks, and vice versa.