Today we introduced a new Portal search experience designed to make more of your content searchable with less effort - while also making it faster than ever for Invited Users to find what they need.
We’ve streamlined the experience so it takes as little as a single keyword to start a search. From there, Invited Users can use the new filter panel to narrow their results to only the files that fit their needs (including only the files they can download).
Continue reading for a more in-depth explanation of this update as well as what’s coming next. Or, click here to read the Help Center article.
This update includes several big improvements to search results. Most importantly, we’re now indexing all IPTC Core metadata fields so that your files can be found in search if as little as one field contains a relevant search term. Results are now displayed using our new thumbnail design for a seamless browsing experience between search and galleries. The new design is also responsive to fit a wide range of screen sizes and devices. And, the thumbnails will now load continuously with no need to click-through to the next page, even if there are thousands of results.
One of the biggest improvements in this update is the new filter panel. In a nutshell, we took all of the most popular advanced search parameters and turned them into interactive filters that refine search results on the fly. Multiple filters can be combined to show only the results that match specific criteria.
- Type: Limits results to a specific file type, like images, video, audio, or files. Please note PDF files are classified as image file types.
- Orientation: Limits results to a single orientation of image and/or video, like horizontal. This is useful whenever you need a file to fit a specific layout.
- Only files I can download: Limits results to only the files that an Invited User can download while logged in. This highly-requested filter is very useful when you want to find the most actionable content.
- Priced: Limit results to only images that are available for purchase. (This filter will only display if your organization is using our ecommerce features.)
- Date from / Date to: Limit results to images created on, after, or within a specific date range.
- Custom Metadata: Limit results to files tagged with specific custom metadata. (These filters will only display if your organization is using our Custom Metadata feature.)
Single File View
Browsing individual search results now looks and feels the same as browsing files in a gallery. If applicable, Custom Metadata fields now appear alongside other file metadata and you can click any IPTC keyword to start a new search. This view is also responsive for a wide range of devices.
Today’s update lays the foundation for future improvements. Here’s a look at some of the things we’re planning:
- Search within a specific Collection or Gallery: Limit the initial search results to only files inside a specific container.
- Batch download from search: Select one or more files from results and download them at the allowed size.
- Performance and UX optimizations: Further improvements to the overall user experience.